Chapter 25: A Pleasant Partnership
Following Manager Zhang, Lin Haoran was soon led to the chairman's office on the third floor of Hang Seng Bank.
As he stepped inside, his gaze immediately settled on Chairman Ho Sin Hang, who sat behind his desk with an air of dignity and quiet kindness.
"Uncle Ho, hello. I hope you'll forgive my unannounced visit," Lin Haoran greeted respectfully as a junior.
Not only was HonSin Hang one of the most influential figures in Hong Kong's banking industry, but he was also an old friend of his father. Whenever Lin Haoran had accompanied his father here in the past, he had always addressed him as "Uncle Ho."
They were by no means strangers.
At seventy-nine years of age, the passage of time had left deep marks upon Ho Sin Hang's face. His silver hair gleamed brightly beneath the office lights.
Yet Lin Haoran knew very well that beneath the appearance of an elderly gentleman lay extraordinary vitality and wisdom.
From the memories of his previous life, he knew that Ho Sin Hang would continue leading Hang Seng Bank until the remarkable age of ninety-seven before peacefully passing away.
"Little Lin, you've come all the way here to see me. Is there something you need my help with?" Ho Sin Hang asked with a warm smile after Lin Haoran had taken his seat.
He had just wrapped up a busy meeting and was about to take a short break when Manager Zhang from the lobby came to inform him that Lin Haoran wished to see him.
At first, he had thought he had misheard.
As far as he knew, this young man had only recently graduated. Why would someone his age seek out an old banker like himself?
But after Manager Zhang confirmed it a second time, his doubts disappeared, replaced by genuine curiosity.
"Uncle Ho, I'd like to discuss a business partnership with you," Lin Haoran said seriously.
"Oh?" Ho Sin Hang raised an eyebrow in surprise, the corners of his lips lifting into a faint smile. "What sort of partnership would require you to come directly to me?"
"Uncle Ho, before we begin, I have one request."
Lin Haoran looked him squarely in the eye.
"What I'm about to discuss is extremely important to me. I hope everything we say today—including the proposal I'm about to make—will remain strictly confidential. That includes keeping it from my father, Lin Wan'an. Can you promise me that?"
He knew the request was no trivial matter.
The success of the plans he had spent so much time preparing depended entirely on secrecy.
If word got out—especially if his father learned of it—it could trigger countless unnecessary misunderstandings and interfere with everything he intended to do.
So he waited expectantly for Ho Sin Hang's answer.
Until he had secured sufficient profits from Wharf Holdings, Lin Haoran had no intention of revealing to his father that he already controlled such an enormous amount of capital.
Seeing the unusually serious expression on the young man's face, Ho Sin Hang's curiosity deepened.
With a gentle smile, he replied,
"Little Lin, since you're asking so earnestly, I give you my word. Everything we discuss today will remain between us. I won't reveal a single word—not even to your father, Lin Wan'an. Now you can speak freely. I'm quite curious to know what important matter has brought you here."
Hearing that promise, Lin Haoran finally relaxed.
Without another word, he took out a stack of Qingzhou Yingni share certificates.
Together, they represented a twelve percent stake in the company.
"Uncle Ho," he said solemnly, "I'd like to use these six million shares of Qingzhou Yingni as collateral to secure a loan of HK$30 million from Hang Seng Bank."
"How did you manage to accumulate such an enormous number of Qingzhou Yingni shares?"
Ho Sin Hang stared at the certificates in his hand, his voice filled with disbelief and astonishment.
He knew perfectly well that six million shares of Qingzhou Yingni were more than sufficient collateral for a HK$30 million loan.
What puzzled him was something else entirely.
Hang Seng Bank had enjoyed a close relationship with Wan'an Group for years.
They had a thorough understanding of the group's financial condition.
So how had Lin Haoran quietly amassed such a massive holding without anyone noticing?
HK$30 million was no small sum.
Even for someone of Ho Sin Hang's stature, it was an amount worthy of serious attention.
Many of Hong Kong's most prominent tycoons would struggle to produce such a large amount of cash at short notice.
Naturally, Lin Haoran's actions stirred countless questions in his mind.
But Lin Haoran had no intention of explaining the truth.
"Uncle Ho, where these shares came from is my personal secret. I'm afraid I can't tell you just yet. Perhaps someday you'll know. As for the loan itself, I trust there shouldn't be any problems?"
He smiled confidently.
Ho Sin Hang nodded in understanding.
"Of course there won't be any problem. Nephew Lin, if you're willing to pledge these twelve percent of Qingzhou Yingni shares as collateral, I can approve a HK$30 million loan immediately. However, I'd like to know—how long do you intend to borrow the money?"
By now, the smile on Ho Sin Hang's face had become noticeably warmer.
Even the way he addressed Lin Haoran had changed.
He no longer called him "Little Lin."
Instead, he now addressed him as "Nephew Lin."
It was a subtle but unmistakable sign that he had begun viewing the young man with genuine respect.
"I'd like a two-year loan," Lin Haoran replied sincerely. "I'd prefer to repay the entire principal in a single payment at the end of the term. Would that be acceptable? Also... what kind of interest rate can you offer?"
Ho Sin Hang fell silent for a moment, carefully weighing the proposal.
Within the banking industry, large corporate borrowers naturally enjoyed more favorable interest rates.
Considering both his relationship with Lin Haoran and the unique nature of this transaction, he ultimately offered an exceptionally generous deal.
"Nephew Lin, since we know each other well, I certainly won't let you suffer a disadvantage.
"For this HK$30 million loan over a two-year term, I can offer you an annual interest rate of five percent.
"That means a total interest cost of ten percent over two years. At maturity, you'll repay HK$33 million.
"I believe that's already an extremely favorable rate by industry standards.
"What do you think?"
His words were filled with sincerity.
He believed the offer clearly demonstrated both his trust in and support for the young man.
The interest rate was identical to what Yumin Finance Company had offered.
For a legitimate bank like Hang Seng, that was already an excellent deal.
"No problem."
Lin Haoran agreed without hesitation.
"Let's sign the contract under those terms. I'd like the funds transferred into my account as soon as possible—preferably today."
He was extremely satisfied.
Not only was the interest rate the same as Yumin Finance's, but the repayment period was much longer.
He had complete confidence that repaying HK$33 million within two years would be effortless.
The reason he chose a two-year term was simple.
He didn't want too much financial pressure once the one-year loan from Yumin Finance matured.
"Nephew Lin, since you're so straightforward, then I won't waste any more time."
Ho Sin Hang smiled approvingly.
"I'll personally authorize this loan as a special approval and ensure the funds are credited to your account before the end of today."
"I'll have the contract prepared immediately."
"Uncle Ho," Lin Haoran said as he rose to his feet with a smile, extending his hand, "here's to a pleasant partnership."
"A pleasant partnership indeed."
The two men shook hands with warm smiles, formally concluding their agreement.
(End of Chapter)
✨ Love this novel?
Visit my Patreon for fast access and advanced chapters! patreon.com/BbingTranslations
Thank you for your support.❤️
Comments
Post a Comment